Brackenridge Park Quilt Project, June 29, 2017

After a brief hiatus for trips and granny duty, the Brack Pack met today to work on the Brackenridge Park Quilt Project.
We have the quilt all pieced.
Our first attempt at printing photos on fabric was a bust.
Marti took the photos to her brother, and together, they did a great job printing the photos on fabric.
When we last met in May, we still didn’t know exactly how we were going to applique the photos.
We had bought wool felt and discussed embroidering with Sue Spargo – type stitches.
During one of my granny trips, I had made a super hero cape for my grandson. I used the fusible interfacing technique of applique. I made a perfect circle to applique on the cape. Today, I tried this applique technique on one of our extra photos, and we decided it would work.
All the photos are ready to be sewn on to the quilt.
My first attempt ended up with an upside-down photo.
The second attempt was crooked.
So, we shelved the project until we meet again next Friday.
It was definitely fun getting back with this group.

Advertisements

Tuesday

Rainy Day + Classical Music = Great Day for Creating
It has been the perfect day for playing with fabric.
I completed the New York Block.
I love these blocks, but I am learning this on my own and it is real challenging.
Hopefully, I can talk to someone at the guild and see about taking lessons.

After I completed this NY block, I went back to making more scrappy quilt blocks.
I find it very relaxing to just piece without a plan.
My technique is to pull out strips and pieces and just sew them without any measuring or planning.
Sometimes, I cut a 6.5″ x 6.5″ wonky square.
Then, I add more strips to this square and cut a 8.5″ x 8.5″ square.
Or, I just piece and cut a wonky 8.5″ x 8.5″ square.
This is what I have so far:
      
After I completed these blocks, I realized that I had emptied the two stash drawers where I had mostly misfit remnants.
I sorted a few other drawers and cut some strips, and now the stash drawers are a bit more manageable.

I spent some time looking at paper piecing tutorials.
It was also a Pinterest kinda day.
Bird house quilt blocks caught my attention.
Since I am not ready to paper piece, I decided to create a bird house block without a pattern.
I started with a 4.5″ X 4.5″ square in the middle, and then I made the roof.
I just pieced what was needed as I went along.

I don’t know if I want to applique a bird on this or not.
Here are some possibilities:
  
Tomorrow, my friend and I will be going to visit Jeana.
She sells great fabric to use for quilt backing, and we want to know what is available before we go fabric shopping for the Brackenridge Park quilt.

 

Next Project

My friends and I are excited about working together to make a quilt for the Brackenridge Conservancy.
I tend to be more traditional in my quilt designs, although I have made some contemporary quilts.
My buddy who quilts, is a bit more on the contemporary side.
This will be a first quilt for my other two friends, but they are good at sewing.
They are also very creative and a whole bunch of fun.

After some discussion, I found a quilt design pattern that I shared with the group.
It was a hit.
We decided on making the River Run Quilt designed by Debbie Grifka of Esch House Quilts.
I purchased the quilt pattern, and we are ready to go.
Our first planning meeting will be this Friday.

Next Project

Today, I completed putting the borders on the Transformer quilt.
There are three borders: red, blue, and black.
I was short ONE black strip, so I had to go to the Mesquite Bean to get what I needed.

Yesterday, I went on a tour of Brackenridge Park.
I have lived in San Antonio since I was two, and the park has always been a special place for me.
The tour was sponsored by the Brackenridge Conservancy.
Three of us were invited to this tour by a very special friend of ours.
The tour was so informative and enjoyable.
We were also able to see so many beautiful ducks and birds.
The morning ended with a picnic lunch.

While enjoying the day with my friends, I suggested we make a quilt to donate to the Conservancy.
The Conservancy  is just setting up a new office, and the quilt can be part of the decorations;
or they can choose to raffle it at one of the many events that they sponsor.

We would include photos that tell the history of this beautiful park.
But first things first.
We need to ask if they would like a quilt.
If so, we will set up our sewing days again.
We had stopped meeting for sewing.
This is on the list of possible projects.

My friends and I love to go birding.
So, it was an added treat to be able to see these beautiful creatures while on our tour.

  Black Bellied Whistling Duck

  Yellow Crested Night Heron

 Egyptian Geese Family

Next Project:
Today, I have spent some time designing a Texas Wildflower quilt.
I am planning on using the Wildflower VIII fabric by Moda.
My friend, Nancy, showed me some of this fabric that she purchased, and I think it would be perfect.
She and I are still working on a design.
 Moda Wildflower VIII