Sunday’s Child

For the last few weeks, I have been reading about the history of quilts.
I am at a point where I do not know what I want to do next when it comes to quilting.
So, I am dabbling and trying different things.
A little bit of improvisation, a bit of artistic, folk art, a bit of embroidery and hand-stitching…and on and on.
All of the quilts I have made have been specific to family members; things they like, and bits of their story.
I had free cut some strips and decided to make it a block to tell about one of my grandchildren.
He was born on a stormy Sunday in October.
I thought of the poem: Sunday’s Child is Happy and Wise.
My embroidery is just basic.
I have been studying Sue Spargo, but I am still a novice at this.


I also added a heart made from a piece of my dad’s plaid shirts.
I was thinking of embroidering my grandson’s initials on the heart and writing the date of his birth on the left bottom corner.
Like I said, I do not know where I am going with this.
I am just trying out different things.

Advertisements

Brackenridge Park Quilt Project, June 29, 2017

After a brief hiatus for trips and granny duty, the Brack Pack met today to work on the Brackenridge Park Quilt Project.
We have the quilt all pieced.
Our first attempt at printing photos on fabric was a bust.
Marti took the photos to her brother, and together, they did a great job printing the photos on fabric.
When we last met in May, we still didn’t know exactly how we were going to applique the photos.
We had bought wool felt and discussed embroidering with Sue Spargo – type stitches.
During one of my granny trips, I had made a super hero cape for my grandson. I used the fusible interfacing technique of applique. I made a perfect circle to applique on the cape. Today, I tried this applique technique on one of our extra photos, and we decided it would work.
All the photos are ready to be sewn on to the quilt.
My first attempt ended up with an upside-down photo.
The second attempt was crooked.
So, we shelved the project until we meet again next Friday.
It was definitely fun getting back with this group.

Brackenridge Park Quilt Project: May 16, 2017

My friends and I had quite a day yesterday.
Our goal was to get the photos of the park printed on fabric printing paper.
We went to the Conservancy to get the photos from them and use the printer in the office.
Big oops!
We had Ink Jet photo fabric and the office had a Laser printer!
We ended up using my friend’s printer.
Next step: Applique